Now that spring’s warmer temperatures will soon be here for good, baseball season is just around the corner. Despite a ho-hum 10-11 record in MLB Spring Training, sports fans in D.C. are hopeful the team can make this the year the Nats’ young sluggers finally take them past the first round of the playoffs.
How did the Nats do last year?
The Nationals had a great regular season in 2016, finishing with a 95-67 record that was second in the league to only the Cubs, who went on to win the World Series. Outfielder Bryce Harper, the MLB’s 2015 MVP, finished the season strong with 24 home runs and 86 RBI. Second baseman Daniel Murphy, who finished second in last year’s MVP race with a phenomenal .347 batting average, ended the season with 25 home runs and 104 RBI.
Despite a successful regular season, the Nationals were eliminated by the Dodgers in the 2016 NLDS. Here’s a preview of some of this year’s biggest upcoming home games and a few other things to do around the stadium in the Navy Yard/Southwest Waterfront area.
Exciting early-season home series
- Monday, April 10 – Wednesday, April 12 – St. Louis Cardinals
- Friday, April 28 – Sunday, April 30 – New York Mets
- Monday, May 8 – Thursday, May 11 – Baltimore Orioles
Other attractions around Nationals Stadium
The Southwest/Navy Yard area of D.C. is one of its trendy, up-and-coming areas. Here are a few places to hang out before or after a game:
- The Bullpen at Half Street Fairgrounds – this open air plaza of shipping containers, food trucks and lawn games is a popular tailgating destination. The land it sits on was purchased in 2015 and may be re-developed soon, so visit while the Bullpen is still around.
- Gordon Biersch – a popular burger chain with an assortment of beers brewed on-site as well as upscale American pub fare.
- Bluejacket – one of D.C.’s biggest local breweries has a pub and tasting room with great pretzels, salads and charcuterie.
Finding a hotel for a Nationals Game
Those traveling to the area to catch the Nationals play should find a hotel that suits all their needs. With a free shuttle to the metro into D.C., easy access to other top sights around the city, and comfortable rooms at affordable prices, the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Alexandria – Fort Belvoir is a perfect home base for any baseball fan this spring and summer.